Amarna House Care Home, in the residential district of Acomb, is at the heart of the city of York, just minutes from the central railway station, on Rosetta Way off the Boroughbridge Road. With frequent bus connections to the city and just seven miles from the A1, it is one of finest care homes in Yorkshire, founded on our principles of compassion and quality of care.
High quality Residential, Nursing and Dementia Care
Dedicated Avery Healthcare staff provide personal care to our community of residents who can rely on the highest quality of residential, nursing and dementia care. Our staff understand the importance of residents staying physically and emotionally engaged and active; residents care is supported by a community of groups including The Friends of Amarna House, who are fully involved in a varied full-time programme of activities.
At Amarna House we provide a complete range of care:
- Residential care and companionship
- Dementia care with compassion
- Nursing care from highly qualified professionals
- Short term respite and convalescence care
Dignity and Respect
We know that you want the best care for you and your loved ones. We feel the same. At Avery Healthcare everything we do is centered around the resident, to whom we give the best possible care, with dignity and respect.
Vibrant community at our friendly Care Home
Amarna House Nursing Home, York, has established strong ties with local schools and associations who play a valuable role in ensuring residents remain part of the wider community. Students from local schools and colleges, including Millthorpe and All Saints School and Manor Church of England Academy sixth form, are regular visitors to Amarna, sitting and chatting to residents or getting involved with activities. The students helped create the popular indoor garden area on the dementia floor, a stimulating and sensory space which is open to all. They also get involved with arts and craft activities, and many Amarna designs are then sold at local fairs, with the proceeds used to fund further events and activities.
The volunteer group, Attend have helped establish The Friends of Amarna House, and there are now ten volunteers who are regular visitors, spending time with the residents and supporting their quality of life. They also provide the driver for the Home’s minibus, taking residents out on daily jaunts or to specific events and activities. Some volunteers and relatives also bring dogs into the home to visit, which is especially popular with the residents.
Some of our activities include:
- Busy Gardening Club
- Cookery and Art courses
- Cinema Club with full size projector
- Reading and creative times with children from local schools
- Local churches delivering secular services every Sunday
- Outside entertainers such as the local Choral Society and jazz group come and play
Getting out and active in some beautiful locations
Our Care Home has its own minibus which regularly takes residents on trips to places of interest all year round, and our full-time Activities Coordinators are always finding new and stimulating places to visit to enrich our residents’ lives.
Some of our excursions include:
- Shopping trips to the McArthurGlen retail village
- Local theatre trips to York
- Visits to the garden centre at Poppleton
- Trips to the National Railway Museum
- Visits to the seaside and coast at Scarborough and Bridlington
- Afternoon tea at St Paul’s church.
Thoughtful design for a thriving community
The Home, built to a high specification and design criteria in 2006, ensures that everyone feels part of the community. The bedrooms are light and airy and all have en-suite facilities, whilst the common areas are attractively furnished with comfy chairs and sofas, occasional tables and bookcases. Amarna House is a warm and homely place with its own special welcome.
Some of the key features of our Home:
- A large outdoor garden with communal spaces
- An indoor garden for those unable to venture outside, where all the colours, perfumes and delights of plants and flowers can be enjoyed
- An in-house café staffed by The Friends of Amarna House, a perfect social area
- A hair salon, chiropody and many alternative therapy services available
- Free and unlimited WiFi for all residents and visitors throughout the Home
- 80 spacious freshly decorated rooms, all with en- suites.