You can buy a ticket to any station on the Esk Valley Railway from anywhere in the National Rail Network. If a station is staffed, you must purchase your ticket at the ticket office. Otherwise, please purchase your ticket from the conductor on the train. Dogs and cycles go free!
- Day Return fares on this line are great value; a Middlesbrough-to-Whitby adult day return (the longest journey) costs only £10.80, day return for a child is £5.40. Whitby-to-Middlesbrough adult day return costs £8.30, day return for a child is £4.15.
- York Shopper: visit York for £13.70 day return from Whitby, leaving on the 0848 from Whitby. Change at Middlesbrough (not Darlington) and arrive at 1121 at York (11.24 on Saturdays). Return on the 1615 from York, arriving at Whitby 1907. Tickets must be purchased from Whitby Ticket Office before travel.
- Tyne and Tees Day Ranger (£21.70) allows you to travel any time at weekends, on public holidays or after 8.45am Monday to Friday. The Day Ranger is attractive for journeys between Whitby and the Esk Valley, Darlington, Bishop Auckland, Shildon (for the railway museum), Thornaby, Stockton, Hartlepool, Sunderland, Hexham, Morpeth, Newcastle, Northallerton and intermediate stations.
Please check the timetables before purchasing a ticket.
- A third off the standard fare for residents traveling on Esk Valley Railway.
- Valid for discounts on train tickets between Whitby and Middlesbrough.
- A Residents’ Railcard offers a third off normal adult train fares. Up to 4 accompanying under 16s can travel at a third off the normal child fare.
- The Railcard is not valid for season tickets.
- The Residents’ Railcard price is £10 for one year.
If you live in the Hambleton, Scarborough or Ryedale Districts of North Yorkshire, or in the Boroughs of Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland or Stockton, you are eligible for an Esk Valley Railcard.
The Esk Valley Railcard is now available from the following stations:
Middlesbrough, Thornaby, Scarborough, Northallerton and Harrogate stations (First Transpennine) as well as Whitby and Redcar stations (Northern Rail)
or, by post, by using this form:
Complete it, print it out, and please include a stamped addressed envelope a stamped addressed envelope with your cheque payable to EVRDC at The Coliseum, Victoria Place, Whitby, North Yorkshire, YO21 1EZ.